Product reviews and tips, how to REALLY empty your product containers and ideas for recycling, upcycling and repurposing your beauty empties.
NEW Beauty Content is added to Entirely Beauty on the regular, so please come back soon to enjoy my next beauty blog post.
I didn’t realise until yesterday (lockdown fog!) that I hadn’t done my usual roundup of products I used up last month!?! Apologies. This post is gonna put that right as it’s all about, yes you’ve guessed it, my April empties: if you want to know which beauty products I’m lovin and living for, the ones I like and what products kinda failed me, then you’ve come to the right place!
I’ve broken my empties down into categories – Skincare, Haircare, Makeup and Body Care – so that you can easily locate each one and read about the products that interest you most! (Hopefully, that’s all of em!) I’ve also linked up each of the products, so you can get more info and/or buy and try them for yourself!
There’s also some other helpful links, some useful tips on using up ALL of your products, plus some recycling, upcycling and repurposing ideas for your empties. I’m the gift that keeps on giving! 😁
I’ve got a few blog posts in my Empties Series, and if the empties thing makes your heart sing, then it can keep singing cos I’ve included the links to the other posts in this series down below.
If you enjoy jumping into my empties basket, please show your appreciation by giving this post a like and following my blog. 👍 If you’re feeling super lovin 😍 please subscribe to ⬇️Entirely Beauty⬇️ and become part of the EB fam. As a thank you, every subscriber receives a FREE (Yes, FREE) copy of EB Xtra, my monthly mini e-mag that’s BIG on exclusive and extra beauty content. Plus you’ll receive a heads up when I add new content, so you won’t miss a thing.
So, we know where we’re heading and you’ve subscribed (!) let’s dive into my empties basket, starting with skincare.
April’s Empties – Skincare
- Beauty Pro Collagen Mask with Vitamin C – An anti-aging, complexion brightening, elasticity improving, fine line and wrinkle diminishing, pleasant smelling and cooling face mask that is suitable for all skin types and costs just £4.95, that’s not half bad, right? Especially when it does all that in just fifteen minutes and has extra serum in the packet that can be used on your neck and décolletage. Loved this and was living for the results, well done Beauty Pro!
If you’re really going to test out a different skin care range then you owe it to the products, yourself and your skin to try them over a few weeks and use a variety of products from that range, cos they are supposed to ‘work’ better together! So, that’s what your girl did. I treated myself to a Feel Unique Beauty Kit of Caudalie Samples. The Beauty Kit is a cost effective way to try out a new skincare regime or any other products you fancy trying.
The Caudalie Vine Range
- The Micellar Water with Organic Grape Water & Chamomile 50ml Sample. (Full Size £19.99) Due to faulty packaging the Caudalie water flooded my Shopped My Stash Storage, I wasn’t impressed but it did a grand job of cleaning the storage compartments and the packaging of my other products. I only used it twice before it Houdinied on me, my face did feel clean though. A bit of a fail there and too short a trial to be more conclusive, sorry folks.
- The Moisturising Toner 50ml Sample (Full Size £9) I wasn’t taken with this toner, it was pleasant enough to use, but I just didn’t feel (and neither did my skin) that it brought anything to the table plus I didn’t see any improvements skin wise. Fail!
- The Moisturising Sorbet 10ml Sample (Full Size £23) I loved the texture of this, it was rich, but light, very moisturing and left my skin feeling like silk! Definitely a fave!
- The S.O.S Thirst Quenching Serum 10ml Sample (Full Size £23) I had two serums from the range and this one certainly performed better than its sister! I used this at night, with the sorbet, and it was uber hydrating and felt lush! Not a fave, but I did like this one.
- The Glow Activating Anti-Wrinkle Serum 10ml Sample (Full size £36) This was my day serum, saddly it lacked the glow it promised, which was disappointing, it also felt a little tacky for a while after application and made my base products ‘pill up’ too. Sorry Caudalie, It’s a no from me!
- Premier Cru |The Eye Cream 5ml Sample (Full Size £49) Given the price of this I was expecting miracles, unfortunately there were none. This eye cream does have a super lux consistency, meaning only a small amount is needed. I’m talking tiny. Miniscule. Seriously, no more than a pin head. That richness not only affects the absorption, but made the cream feel far too heavy on my eye area. This was another discovered fail in Caudalie’s range.
Note: The above sample sizes afforded sufficient product for my month long trial.
- Skinacademy Argan Oil Gel Eye Patches (4 Treatments- but I had already used two) £1.75 These, in contrast to the Wander ones, are super affordable at just 43p per treatment. You leave them on for about 20 mins, remove and gently pat the serum in to the skin until absorbed. For the price I can’t fault these. The Argan Oil is great at hydrating whilst the antioxidants help slow signs of aging. These are a fave in the budget beauty category.
- Sukin Pink Clay Facial Masque (For Sensitive Skin) £11.75 – I bloody love this! A recent addition to the Sukin family of products, this amazing mask gently extracts pollutants and impurities to leave your skin feeling really clean and looking healthly and radiant. (For more Sukin product info click here) I really recommend giving this one some space on your bathroom shelf – I’ll be re-buying for sure.
How to get the most from your beauty ‘almost gones’ and ’empties’: Using ALL the product!
Before we get into the next group of empties, if, like me, you hate product waste, these tips’ll help you get to the bottom of things!
The foundation that resolutely clings to the sides of the bottle, the concealer that the damn doe foot applicator can’t reach, the remnants of your favourite, now flattened lippy and what’s left of your now slightly clumpy, much loved mascara all costs £££ but often go unused. Here’s how I get every drop, lump and clump from those products and make sure I get my coins worth.
Is it really EMPTY?
If there’s residual product in your ’empties’ follow the instructions in my ⬅️infograph⬅️. Simply add the ‘extra ingredients’ directly to the containers, give the container a really good shake & voila, you have a ‘NEW’ and slightly different product for FREE!
For the lip and cheek tint, scrape out any remaining lipstick onto a mixing palette or saucer add an equal amount of lip balm, mix thoroughly, re-package in a cleaned pot or tin.
If you found these tips useful, please let me know in the comment and I’ll include more in future empties posts.
You may remember that I ‘joined’ Project Pan 2020, which means I’m trying to ‘use what I have’ (to the very last drop, lump and clump 😉) and ‘hit pan’. (To read more about my project pan endeavours please click here). To be honest, using up skin and hair care and/or body products isn’t difficult, as this and my previous Empties posts prove, I get through them ‘organically’. Makeup, however, is a totally different ball game, and since starting my blog, and my empties series, I’ve never actually ‘hit pan’ in that category.
Yes, I finally did it!
And not just on one makeup product, but FOUR!
I can see why so many people love panning, it feels great and I’m ridiculously proud of myself! 😁
April’s Empties – Makeup Products
- Avon Extra Lasting Liquid Foundation (Shade: Shell) 30ml £10 (Discontinued) The fact that this has been discontinued by Avon begs the question “How long have I had You???” 🤔 Honestly, I don’t know, and that response suggests that I need to do an inventory of my stash! Yes, I know Avon is an MLM (don’t come gunning for me 😉) but I do really like some of their products (spoiler alert – I picked out another Avon foundation to use this month). I liked this, it applies well with a blender, brush or even your hands, can be mixed with moisturiser for a lighter, BB kinda coverage and it lasts. (Side note – it mixed well with face oil & highlighter & I loved using up that last bit) Shame it’s been discontinued!
- Benefit Roller Lash Full Size (Shade: Black) £22.50 This is my Marmite mascara and she has a Jekyll and Hyde character! Some days I LOVED this product, it performed well, curlec my lashes and looked the bomb! Other days it slightly irritated my eyes, clumped up (not in a good way) I had to spend time combing my lashes to lose the clumps and that straightened my lashes back out. When she’s good she’s great, when she’s not she’s horrid! I have a love hate relationship with Roller Lash.
- Code Beauty Soft Smooth Lip Liner £18 This innovative lip liner sharpens itself, contains collagen and is, as the name suggests, soft and smooth. Goes on so easily, wears well, prevents feathering, gives great lip contour and is bendable! I was obsessed with this – the only downer, it broke and I lost some of that valuable product! 😭 That lush softness was it’s undoing; would I re-buy – hell yeah, but I’ll remember to use a lighter hand.
- Revolution Liquid Highlighter (Shade: Bronze Gold) I received this in one of those wonderful FREEBIE bags that Revolution offer from time to time with an order. I don’t think you can beat Revolution for budget/drug store beauty, and this highlighter is testament to that statement. Applied wonderfully, can be used as a ‘hey, my cheekbones are LIT!’ highlighter, a more subtle, blended glow or mixed into your fave foundation to give it some extra umphhh. Definitely a fave! If you haven’t discovered the revolution that is Revolution, whatcha waiting for? Go get more bang for your buck!
April’s Empties – Hair Care
50ml Samples (1000ml £28 each) A crackin’ pair of lightweight hair products! They clean, soften, add shine and smell totes amazing! I loved these – faves!
- Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer 40ml Sample (Full Size – 70ml £19) You can’t go wrong with any Phillip Kingsley hair product – this company are hair specialists and this is sooo reflected in their products! This popular brand is often found in Beauty Subscription Boxes & that’s because once you’ve tried a sample of any of their products you will want to buy them!! Elasticizer is a pre-shampoo treatment, which is nothing short of brilliant for fine, medium and coarse hair as it adds shine, bounce, increases elasticity and makes hair more managable. This, and other Phillip Kingsley products, rank highly among my favourites!
- Grow Gorgeous – Back Into The Roots Scalp Masque 60ml Sample. Full Size (200ml £28) Whatever your hair concerns Grow Gorgeous has a Masque solution. This scalp Masque is massaged into the scalp then it does a weird cooling and tingly thing for the duration of the 10 minutes you leave it on for. You then cleanse and condition your hair as normal. Back Into The Roots certainly stimulates your scalp and gives your head the ‘wake up call’ it promises but ‘results’? Sadly lacking! After 4 weeks of using this I’m still not sure what it’s supposed to do, so that’d be a fail!
- Schwarzkopf Live Baby Blue (Spray-in temporary, wash out, hair colour) 89p 125ml. I am obsessed! Whenever I spot these in my local discount stores I buy in bulk. They come in various pastel shades (Baby Pink, Peach, Mint etc), work great for lighter hair colours (blondes and greys) and you can increase the intensity according to how you apply them. Sprayed into dry hair the result is softer, but is a perfect pick-me-up for ‘in need of a shampoo’ hair. If you want something a with more impact spray into damp hair then dry and style as normal. You can try a temporary unicorn affect with these too (it looks so extra when plaited). I use this temporary hair colour to add pizzazz to a ‘messy-bun-up-do’ by spraying the colour(s) just on my bun, I’ve also used it to colour just the loose tendrils – both styles give a lovely contrast . I recommend these if you’re beautiful blonde or a gorgeous grey babe cos they’re fun, easy to use and sooo versatile!!!
Recycle, Upcycle, Re-purpose: Some great ideas for your beauty empties
Some beauty product empties simply don’t lend themselves to upcycling or re-purposing, but can be recycled.
Other empties can, with a bit of imagination, be restyled & re-used, and you can have fun creating something ‘new’.
If you’d like more upcycling and re-purposing ideas for your empties, or if you have any good empties hacks, please let me know in the comments.
April’s Empties – Body Products
- Sure MotionSense Bright Bouquet 48 Hour Anti-Perspirant 250ml £1.79 OK, not the most exciting beauty/body product in the world, but we all use it in some form or another. This anti-perspirant has a MotionSense element which apparently releases a fruity burst of strawberries and apricots when you’re on the move. Can’t say I noticed that particular claim, but then again I wasn’t about to go for a run with my nose in my own armpit to test the claim! There are just some things ya girl won’t do, sorry! 😉 It does smell good and it kept me fresh and dry, so yeah, I liked it!
- Bubble T Bath & Shower Gel in Rhubarb & Custard AND Salted Caramel. 200ml. £5.99 for both via Soapscription – a bubbletastic subscription box from Bubble T. These Bath and Shower Gels (and Soapscription) are a firm fave of mine, but Bubble T surpassed themselves with the Salted Caramel!!! Oh M Vereee Gee – loved, loved, loved this fragrance – by far the best ‘flavour’ I’ve since subbing – Deeeelicious!!! The rhubarb and custard was fab too, as we’re all the other ‘flavour’ I’ve received – I can’t recommend this bubbly sub box, or praise the prods highly enough 😍
- Avon Skin So Soft Enhance and Glow 150ml (Medium) £3.50 – really enjoyed using this and it’s a great way to get a sun kissed start to tanning season. Personally, I don’t go in heavy with fake tan, so this is perfect for me. Also it’s child’s play to apply – simply spray and massage in. It doesn’t streak, you get lovely, natural looking tan, soft skin, a great glow and no mess or orange hands. You can build it up, but I tend to just use this a couple of times a week then exfoliate it off and begin again. Lurve it 😎
And that concludes my empties for April. What do you about what I used up, liked and disliked. Have you tried any of these products? What did you think of them? Do any of my empties take your fancy? If they do let me know which ones. If you’ll be trying them in the future and would like some more details, don’t hesitate to ask. Don’t forget to let me know what you thought of my ‘use it all’ and ‘trash to treasure’ tips and/or if you have any hacks and tricks of your own, please share them in the comments too. Finally don’t forget to like, share, follow and subscribe. Thank you.
Thanks also, and as always, for reading, I really appreciate you taking time out your day to visit and read. Until next time, take care
💋 Entirely Beauty 💋
More Posts In This Series
Disclaimer: This post is NOT sponsored and all opinions expressed herein are my own. NONE of the links included in this post are affiliate links. All information derived from outside sources/research was correct at time of publication.